Are you a card-carrying AARP member? Maybe you are thinking of joining but aren’t sure it’s worth it? You probably know that your AARP membership benefits include discounts on an array of products, experiences and services from home and car insurance to tour packages and home security systems. But you may not realize how many — and what a wide variety — are offered.
Make sure you aren’t missing out on these savings or any of the many other pluses of being a member.
- Free financial advice. As you get closer to retirement, taking care of your money is essential. As an AARP member, you can print or order free financial publications with detailed advice on topics such as carrying mortgage debt into retirement, dealing with age discrimination, investing with IRAs, reinventing your career and when to claim Social Security.
- Save on car insurance. With special Auto Insurance Programs you may be eligible for good driver discounts.
- Lower home insurance costs. Take advantage of Homeowners Insurance Programs that offer valuable coverage for your personal property and protection against personal liability. A range of options are available to meet your needs — whether you own a house or condo, or you’re a renter. Save even more when you bundle your home and auto policies.
- Dental and vision insurance. Eye and oral health become even more important as you age. With the AARP® MyVision Care AARP members get a choice among three vision insurance plans. These include comprehensive eye exams with minimal copays and deep discounts on lenses and frames. AARP also offers dental insurance, administered by Delta Dental, that features large dentist networks, limits on out-of-pocket costs and guaranteed acceptance for AARP members.
- A special hearing program. The AARP® Hearing Care Program offers an in-person hearing test, custom fitting for hearing aids and a 20% discount on a large portfolio of digital hearing aids. You even get a free three-year supply of hearing aid batteries.
- Pay less for prescriptions. About 70% of Americans take at least one prescription drug, and 20% take five or more. The cost of these medications adds up. The AARP® Prescription Discounts offers savings to AARP members and their spouses and dependents on drugs not covered by your current prescription insurance or Medicare Part D. The savings average up to 61%.
- Free online games. AARP offers free online games for members. Enjoy lots of classics from backgammon to daily jigsaw puzzles and mahjongg to solitaire. Some games are available to anyone, while others are for AARP members only. The bonus? Online games can help keep your mind sharp.
- Discounts for book lovers. Are you a book lover who can’t always find what you want at the library? The AARP Bookstore offers AARP members 40% off select titles when ordered directly from the publisher. You can also get eBooks and free downloads on health, food, technology, money and work, home, family, and caregiving, and more.
- Loyalty programs. AARP offers several ways to maximize your rewards. You also can link your AARP membership card to your Walgreen’s Balance Rewards account to earn 50 points for every $1 you spend in the store.
- Dining and entertainment discounts. You may already know that AARP has deals with restaurants that allow members to trim the fat from their restaurant bills. Most participating restaurants offer AARP members 10% to 15% off their total. Want to see a show after dinner? You can also get 20% off online ePremiere Tickets purchased online that can be used at Regal movie theaters nationwide.
- Enjoy free movies at home. AARP offers free online movie screenings through the Movies for Grownups program. You can check out what screenings are available and sign up to take part. Plus, get our critic’s picks of the best movies and series to stream while you’re at home.
- Save when you shop. Members get an array of other AARP benefits and discounts to keep more money in their wallets. For example, show your AARP card at Tanger Shopper Services and get a free coupon book with over $1,000 in discounts that can be redeemed at a variety of outlet stores. You can also get free printable coupons good at grocery stores, drug stores and other retailers from Coupons.com.
- Pet insurance. AARP allows you to keep your furry family members healthy with up to a 10% member discount on pet health insurance (when you enroll online) plus a $35 prepaid Petplan Visa® Prepaid Card you can use at your next vet visit.
- Save when traveling. Get 12% off for off-airport parking with your AARP card at more than 150 locations when you book in advance. AARP offers members a variety of savings on lodging and car rentals. You can also get discounts on vacations. Here are a few examples: AARP membership includes $50 off per person on small group cultural immersion tours from Collette Explorations. If you want to see the world by train, you can get 5% off worldwide rail vacations and train tours from Vacations by Rail.
Think that’s a lot? There are many other perks to joining AARP which you can view right from their convenient mobile app, AARP Now , which lets you easily access your AARP benefits right from your smartphone. And don’t forget that you can add your spouse or partner to your AARP membership at no cost. That’s an easy way to double the bang for your buck! **Noble Horizons is not affiliated with AARP, nor do we receive monies for promoting them or their services.